The INI – International Noh Institute is now accepting applications for its 2017 Summer Intensive Program. Participants will take part in an intensive training period, during which they will study Noh chant and dance at the INI headquarters in Kyoto with Kongō school Noh actors Udaka Michishige, Udaka Tatsushige and Udaka Norishige. In addition, they will be able to observe the rehearsal and to attend the Udaka Seiran Noh performance. During the program, participants will learn about various aspects of noh, including masks and costumes. The program is coordinated by Dr Diego Pellecchia (Ritsumeikan University). Application deadline: May, 1st 2017.
- Train intensively in noh chant and dance, following the traditional methods of the Kongō school.
- Practice in a small group at the okeikoba, private training space of a noh master, for an immersive experience.
- Observe the rehearsals of a professional noh performance.
- Watch two noh performances: at a Buddhist temple (free of charge) and at the Kongo Noh theatre (included in the participation fee)
- Experience living in Kyoto, the heart of Japanese traditional culture.
INI SUMMER INTENSIVE PROGRAM 2017
Requirements: Anyone is welcome to join – no previous knowledge of Noh is required. Lessons are given in English and/or Japanese. Past year program attendees are entitled to the repeater discount of 10,000JPY, as shown below.
Capacity: 3-5 participants
Place: INI Training Space, Kyoto
Period: September 4 – 14 2017, every day
Fees (in Japanese yen)
- Regular: chant/dance lessons, basic materials (according to their level), Udaka Seiran Noh ticket, INI certification of completion of the introductory course.
- Repeater: chant/dance lessons, basic materials (according to their level), Udaka Seiran Noh ticket, INI certification of completion of the intermediate course. Audiovisual materials to continue dance and chant practice from home.
Fees do not include:
- Tabi white split-toe socks (around 700JPY)
- Kongō-style Noh dance fan (5000JPY).
- Transportation, accommodation, and any other personal expenses.
Activities calendar: September 2017
Lessons will take place 10:00-15:00 at the INI training space in Iwakura, Kyoto.
How to apply: send us an email at ini.kyoto[at]gmail.com Please attach your C.V. and a brief statement of interest.
Application deadline: May, 1st 2017
*Late applications will be considered only if places are still available. The program will be cancelled if it does not reach the minimum number of participants